Error: Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 1117 - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Error code 1117 is generated by the Windows operating system and is always caused by I/O (Input / Output) throughput issues with either the disk or the controller that it is attached to.
Check the disk for possible errors
Perform the steps below for each volume that you are trying to either create an image of or include in a file & folder backup:
- Run an elevated MS-DOS command prompt as follows:
- For Windows XP and Server 2003: Click 'Start' > 'All Programs' > 'Accessories' > 'Command Prompt'.
- For Vista/7/8 and Server 2008 and later Servers follow steps from a.
(Note: if in START screen in Windows 8 start at b.)
- Press keyboard ‘Windows key’
- Type word 'command'
- Then right-click on ‘Command Prompt’
- From menu click 'Run as administrator' (in Windows 8, menu is at bottom of screen)
- At the command prompt type:
chkdsk <volume drive letter> /r /f
If you receive the message 'Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time your system restarts?' press 'Y' then enter.
Your entire file system will be checked for errors and this may take some time to complete.