Error: Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error
This error is generated by the Windows operating system and is always caused by I/O (Input/Output) throughput issues with either the disk or the controller that it is attached to. This issue can arise from either a backup or restore operation.
Ensure external disks are optimized for performance
External disks can be configured either for Performance or for Quick Removal. When configured for Quick Removal, Windows will disable write caching to the disk thereby slowing down throughput. All writes will go direct to the disk and throughput IO collisions can occur. It is recommended that external disks are configured for Performance when you encounter the 1117 error code. Follow these steps to configure the disk:
- Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
- Expand 'Disk Drives'. Right-click the device, and then click Properties
- Click the Policies tab.
- Click Optimize for performance, and then click OK.
- Restart the computer
After restarting your computer we recommend trying another backup to see if this has resolved your issue.
Enable Write Caching
You make also want to enable write caching, This solution is used exclusively for backup operations.
- Take the menu option Other Tasks > Edit Defaults
- Select the Advanced category along the top toolbar.
- Select the Advanced Backup Options
- Ensure the option 'Enable file write caching' has a check against it.
- Click Ok to save the Macrium Reflect defaults.
Please try another backup when the above steps have been performed.